Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Spring is finally here
















Spring has finally arrived in Ontario, and I've really looked forward to antiquing and browsing the local plant nurseries. Last weekend there was a Maple festival in a nearby town. It was really fun - the main street was blocked off, with lots of live entertainment and activities for the kids. All of the stores had sales and I managed to find something I've been wanting for ages - a small antique writers desk. It is so nice to stumble across the "perfect" item. Needless to say, it is firmly planted in our living room, and I am delighted! Now all I need is a small chair to go with it, but I'm sure I'll have fun looking!

I've also been anxiously waiting to see which of our spring flowers survived being transplanted from a different growing zone . We re-located last fall and I brought several plants from our garden with us, among them a few white and burgundy trilliums, which are some of my favourite flowers. I thought it would take a few years for them to really establish themseves, as they can take up to ten years to flower, so imagine how excited I was when I saw familiar greenery in my back garden with flowers. Yes, both kind of trilliums are blooming, and with abundance, I might add. Yippee!

My next surprise came Sunday morning, on Mother's day. I was looking out of the kitchen window and noticed tall, pointed spikes in my garden. I was thrilled to see three Jack-in-the-Pulpits poking up from the soil, since I wasn't sure they would take being transplanted. The final treat was a tiny group of wild purple violets, that I had also brought with us. They were one of my mum's favourite flowers, and it was as if she was wishing me "Happy Mother's Day". It really was a highlight in my day.

3 comments:

Aleta said...

Fabulous desk, Brenda!! What a find!! Your trilliums are just beautiful!! Where is the picture of the violets? Violets are one of my spring favs. A neighbor in Seattle gave me some old fashioned violet starts....needless to say, they came with me to Oregon and are blooming happily in the back garden. They're so delicate!! I love, love, love your pictures!!

Warmest bear hugs, Aleta

Brenda said...

Aleta, the violets have just poked through - no flowers yet. When they have bloomed, along with the Jack-in-the-pulpits, I will post some pictures! I love violets too, especially the wild ones, because they don't spread so fast.

hugs,

Brenda

melanie said...

Hi Brenda

I love your blog, which means I can come along at any time to catch up on your inspirational teddy creations and now I look with envy at your gardening.

By the way I know you say you have not enough hours in the day, but there is one more thing for you to do and that is to play a blogger game of tag your it. Nip over to my blog to find out more.

Lots of love and happy bear making
Melanie Jayne